Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tascam DR-40 Initial Review and First Impressions (Plus Audio Test)

I just received my Tascam DR-40 yesterday and quickly opened it up (filming it so you can watch it below of course) and began testing out it's capabilities. It is very easy to use right out of the box as everything you need to get going, 3 AA batteries and a SD card, is included. I inserted batteries, turned it on, and in no time was testing recording capabilities of the DR-40 with it's built in mics. 

With just a little practice (emphasis on little little) I was able to get some good, quality-sounding audio tracks out of Tascam's budget minded recorder. I found that the mics were able to capture vocals, dialogue, instruments (piano), and field recordings (a fountain, a car, bees, a basketball) all pretty accurately. The recording quality also improved as I got better at setting the input levels and mic placement. Check out the video below to see my unboxing of the Tascam DR-40 as well as some sample recordings to give you an idea of the sound.


So far, the Tascam DR-40 has impressed me on all fronts. It offers the ability to record audio that is instantly way better than what you are already getting with your camera's built in mic at a price $100 cheaper than it's main competitor (the ZOOM H4n). I can't wait to try more of the features that the DR-40 offers as well as just spending more time using it because as they say: "Practice makes perfect" (or at least makes better).


No comments:

Post a Comment