Sunday, February 1, 2015

Best Laptop For Under Or Around $500?

Q:  I’m 13 years old, I’m going into high school next fall. It’s tradition in my family to receive a computer when entering high school and the child always get to chose. So, I was wondering if maybe you had some advice for choosing the right laptop, because this laptop is supposed to take me through college or until I can buy a new one with my own money. Plus the laptop can’t be too pricey (I'm looking for something about $500 max). If you can help me I would be grateful. Also, I have some preferences for my first laptop, some of them being that the laptop can’t have any plastic, a full keyboard is required, a camera, and it has to be durable. Thank you so much even if you can’t help me, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to read my email.

A: Ok, so sorry that I took a little while to respond but I wanted to make sure that I had done my research and asked around before I started making recommendations. Finding an all metal (or non-plasticy) laptop for around $500 is actually really hard, and quite near impossible actually. When you said non-plastic I immediately thought of the MacBook Air by Apple, however, with a price tag of around $900 for the 11” entry level model it is hardly within your price range. But first, since you also said that you didn't know much about computers I just want to provide you with a little info on what the differences are between different laptops these days.The operating system or OS which a computer uses is a very big thing when it comes to choosing a computer. While there may be hundreds of different computers available to choose from, there are only three main operating systems which you can choose from: Google Chrome OS, Mac OS, and Windows 8. Though Apple only allows Mac OS to come installed on computers that they make, Google and Microsoft let computer manufacturers like HP, Toshiba, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, or Dell to ship their computers pre-installed with Google Chrome OS or Windows 8. Because each of the three operating systems available are so radically different from each other, I would personally recommend you take a trip to your local computer store (Staples, Target, RadioShack, etc) to try out some computers and see which one you like.



Rather than now spend the time to try and explain all of the other features of a laptop which you might want to consider such as screen size, battery life or memory, here’s a link to a website which explains it all rather nicelyAnyways, I hope that somewhat helped to clear it up. Here are the laptops I thought looked the best that fell within or near your price range:

Microsoft Windows OS:

Google Chromebook OS:

Apple Mac OS

I hope this helps give you a good direction to start looking. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment