Monday, March 9, 2015

The Apple Watch: Time to See If Apple Still Has What it Takes

With Apple set to announce their brand new product, the fan named "iWatch", in only a few hours, I am writing this blog post as what likely will a farewell to the me who doesn't see the point in owning a smart watch. What do I mean? Well over the many Apple product announcement events I have experienced in my short lifetime, be it for a brand new product or just an update, I have noticed that Apple is incredibly good in selling people on ideas. I might not have thought I needed a tablet at all, but as soon as the iPad was released I just had to get one. And with iPad sales topping over 225 million to date worldwide, obviously I wasn't the only person who felt this way. 



Starting all the way back with the iPod, Apple has been able to dominate almost any market they entered, basically on just the idea that their products were better. It shows through in their high prices, elegant boxes, and even the way they talk about their products. One of the things that made Steve Jobs so successful and such a genius CEO was the way which he
was able to present his ideas to people. I can still remember him now: walking across the stage, clicker in hand, smiling from ear to ear in a way that only he could, while discussing the beauty and functionality of the screen on the latest generation iPhone. In fact, he was so good at presenting his ideas that many joked that he could literally present no products and people would still want to buy what he was selling. (CollegeHumor did an especially good parody that you can check out below if you want.)



Now Apple does make good products, there's no denying that, but whether they're the best or not is something I can really ever be decided. So much of had made Apple success is the way that people feel when they use their products, and that is a user experience which is individual to each person. Beats By DRE is another company which was able to sell an idea and their brand to people rather than trying to sell their merely on looks and features alone. Even before Apple somewhat ironically bought the company which was one of the first brands out there to successfully duplicate Apple's marketing, Beats By DRE headphones have always been a status symbol. This sort of popularity has led to polarized opinions about their headphones with some saying they hate them while others saying they're great. Apple has the same problem/blessing in disguise, and I routinely meet people who are 100% certain that anything with an Apple logo is a high-resolution, over-priced, chromy piece of crap.


And this brings me to the Apple Watch. As someone who was excited at the prospect of not wearing a watch as soon as I got a phone (a flip tracfone mind you), I don't know why I would ever want to return to my watch wearing days. On top of this, I am slightly worried about all of the Bluetooth radiation, since some studies have began to show signs that it is harmful. The Moto 360 has tempted me the most so far though, with its strikingly simple round shape and wireless charging, but I always ultimately decide that I really don't need it. I have a phone and hands to hold it, plus I don't need to be constantly be checking my phone.
If Apple is able to retain Steve Jobs' ability to present a new idea to the public, they will be able to sell America and the world on smart watches. As the first new product that they are introducing under Tom Cook without the input of Steve Jobs, the Apple Watch will also likely determine the future success of the company. Industry analysts estimates for first year sales range from 8-15 million, with many saying the watch's battery life (or lack there of) could be a make or break factor. Like the iPad, it will really be a year or two before we know just how successful Apple's venture into the smartwatch market will be. However, I will be able to tell immediately after the keynote presentation whether or not their smartwatch will be successful: If you see me tweeting about how I "have to have an Apple Watch", then you'll know that just like so many of their other product presentations before, Apple was able to sell me too on their latest idea. 

You can watch the Apple keynote here starting at 10a.m. PDT/1p.m. EDT (note: you probably will need to use Safari to do so).

No comments:

Post a Comment