Monday, June 9, 2014

Question: Now that you have used the Tascam DR-40 for almost a year, how do you feel about the audio recorder?

Q: "OK, now that you have used this [the Tascam DR-40] for almost a year are there any things you feel differently about the recorder?  I am looking to purchase a recorder and am just researching them.  Thanks for your updates."
-Chris Johnson on Tascam DR-40 Unboxing, First Look, Built-In Mics Sound Test, & Review (Budget Sound Recorder)


A: I still am very happy with my purchase. Even though the Zoom H4n is pretty much the go-to when people are looking for a 4 track/2 input audio recorder for under or around $200, I think the Tascam DR-40 is superior in many ways. This was made clear to me this spring when I was taking the entry level film production course at college. We were given Zoom H4's (don't even think about buying) to use for recording the audio for our projects. When I asked the professor why the college didn't have the newer Zoom H4n's instead, he replied that all of the onboard mics had simply broken off within the first semester of use. This is one of the main flaws of the H4n which the DR-40 addresses by incorporating metal microphone guards. Even if you don't plan on using the onboard mics, it is still nice to have them not break off just in case you need to use them as backup.
I would definitely still recommend the DR-40 to anyone who was looking for an audio recorder for under $200. I have had nothing break on it and really my only complaint is that the SD card slot's rubber door is sometimes hard to get open.

No comments:

Post a Comment